Search This Blog

Sunday

Tell me the difference.

I took Philosophical Analysis last semester and still, it haunts me.

Every one imposes question/s to everyone. Filled with doubt, by mere curiosity, exasperation, or with nonsensicality, people always try to ask something. In reality, humans LIKE to ask. They like to know whether the truth is true or not - if pOH = -log [OH^-], 1 + 1 = 2, or whether she's a she or not. Our natural inquisitiveness leads us to a path that we ourselves are uncertain. And if we were to receive answers, still we would resist embracing these and again, hurriedly answering back some questions. Either way, I see doubt.

Boom. 525, 600 minutes. 525, 600 questions to go.

Why do we need to watch that film? What is this? How is that possible? When will He come? Who and where is He? My life has always been marked by this Who-what-where-when-why-how type of question. I can't even imagine myself existing without these questions; or rather, I can't imagine myself writing this without the 5-W's and 1-H. [Talk about News writing.] And these questions even veil themselves, as if they were precious diamonds hiding from muggers. I see them everywhere: movies, pictures, objects, and much more in writing works. Despite some lacking the punctuation mark,?, that is placed at the end of the statement to indicate question, I see them by merely deciphering the article.

Verb: decipher di'sIfu(r) - read with difficulty (WordWeb, 2005)

Question is part of the structural context. Everything is RELATED to questions, and questions always have an effect. For example, in our Arts and Humanities - 7 class, we watched the movie Persepolis that is about the coming-of-age of Marjane Satrapi, the main character of the film. From a vantage point, while making the film, (assuming) the film crew might have asked themselves how they would present the film to the viewers, in a way that they (viewers) would understand each level/stage of the story. They might have used these questions as guide for viewers, i.e. made the question implicitly invisible, but for the viewers to decipher. As viewer, while watching, I tried to ask myself what was the story all about, and how was the story presented. Basically, the questions (inquisitiveness) teach us unconsciously, as we try to explore and search for answers. As we try to search for the meaning, or answers, we actually learn.

Another example is this web log. Before I started writing, I asked myself on what topic will I be writing. That started my journey. It was then followed by series of questions, which then led me here.

I remembered the method of Socrates in teaching his students like Plato: Socratic dialogue method. Follow this link: http://www.sfcp.org.uk/socratic_dialogue.htm

So tell me now, am I talking more about Philosophical Analysis, taking into account that my primary idea/ purpose while writing this is/is for my web log in Arts and Humanities 7? Tell me the difference. And I see now why it really led me here.

Consider this: In Buddhism, and in nature, EVERYTHING IS INTERRELATED.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

should there even be a difference. who was it who said that "schooling gets in the way of my education"?

it's the individual student who processes all the information s/he learns in and out of the classroom. and there are no departments or colleges inside the student's brain, right?

Louis Jordan Pombo said...

I think sir, it actually depends on how the person thinks or what are his philosophies in life. I'm considering also the experiences that the person may have encountered which led him to the departmentalization of his brain/information. For some people belonging to the field of sciences, the person may think as arts (or any field that is not in line with the person's ideals) as something that is totally different from science. Sometimes they wholly embrace their respective field, that they almost forget to see the correlation between the other fields.

Well, I see AH7 as related to SSP5 and other fields, even in Science. As we go on with our discussion for the time being, I can still manage to think outside the box, and relate our discussions to the things I learned before. That is also the reason why I am able to right these things.